I’ve Been in a Car Accident–So Now What?

June 28, 2017 No Comments by johnmixon

 Car wrecks are a common and unfortunate occurrence in our modern world.  It is unavoidable that at some point in our lives we will most likely be involved in an automobile accident.  If you look around while driving you will see others on the road talking on cell phones, texting, playing with I-pods, eating, and even reading while driving.  Despite the fact that car accidents occur every day there are still a large number of drivers that ignore their basic common sense and engage in dangerous activities while driving.  You may be doing everything you can to be as safe as possible and you could still be involved in an automobile wreck that causes you serious bodily injury and expensive mechanical and body damage to your vehicle. 

So just what should you do if you have been involved in a car wreck here in the State of Georgia?  Well here are a few steps that you can take to help speed up the process and get this life altering inconvenience behind you.

STEP 1- Get treatment for your injuries.  Sometimes people are afraid of extremely costly medical bills.  However, most hospitals will charge the at-fault driver’s insurance for the treatments.  The at-fault driver’s insurance is called the Liability Insurance.  If you are hurt get in the ambulance, go to the hospital, allow them to take x-rays, take the medication they prescribe you, and get additional treatment if you need it. 

STEP 2- Get the accident report.  Call the Police Immediately! In the State of Georgia you will need an accident report to file your claim.  The accident report is most likely at the Sheriff’s office of the county in which the accident occurred.  Sometimes the accident report can be with a different branch of law enforcement such as a city police force, or if on the Highway the Georgia Highway Patrol may have the report.  If you have been involved in a hit and run accident this is crucial.  You have a time limit in which you must obtain this accident report and present it to your own insurance company.  In the situation of a car accident in which the at-fault driver is known you will still need to obtain this report to present to the liability insurance company.

STEP 3- Get a copy of all your automobile policiesHaving a copy of all available insurance can help your lawyer obtain all the money available to you.  This can also help in situations where the medical bills are more than the liability insurance has available to pay you.  If you own other cars, trucks, motorcycles, SUV’s, RV’s, or any other policy that covers a motorized vehicle then gather those policies together and bring them to your car accident lawyer. 

STEP 4- Report the car accident to your insurance company.  I know what you are thinking.  Won’t that make my premiums go up?  NO!  Your premiums will not go up unless you are the at-fault driver.  Most people carry something known as UM coverage.  This coverage exists to protect you in the event that you are hit by a driver that has no insurance, you are in a hit and run car wreck, or the at-fault driver does not have enough insurance to cover your medical bills.  You must act in a timely manner and inform your own insurance company to make this UM coverage available.

While this is just a starting point these steps can help with the process of fixing your wrecked automobile, compensating you for time missed from work, and help with your medical bills.  If you have been involved in an automobile accident contact John Mixon and Associates today at (706) 724-9999 or toll free at 1-800-727-1234 for a free legal consultation.

No comments