I’ve Been in a Car Accident–Do I Have to Pay These Bills?

January 6, 2017 No Comments by johnmixon

The average person does not think about money the second after an automobile accident.  There are typically injuries to yourself and others as a result of this car wreck.  Treating these injuries are the first and most important step post-accident.

Once all of the chaos of a car wreck begins to calm down money will become a concern.  You will have damage to your vehicle, a towing fee, a storage fee at the tow yard, medical bills, and lost wages.  Who is going to take care of this financial disaster?  Are you expected to take care of the cost if the accident was not your fault?  If you are not expected to pay then who is, the other driver?

This is where Liability Insurance comes into play.  Everyone in the State of Georgia is required to carry a minimum amount of insurance in case of a car accident.  The standard in Georgia is called 25/50/25.  This means you must have $25,000.00 to cover any one person’s injuries in any wreck, $50,000.00 to cover all injuries in any one wreck, and $25,000.00 to cover the property damage in any one wreck.

If you are struck by another driver you will make a legal claim against that driver’s insurance policy.  At a minimum you will have $25,000.00 for medical bills and $25,000.00 for property damage.  While there are other places that money can be recovered from they can only be recovered if the liability insurance is exhausted.  It is important to remember that just because this money is available that does not mean the insurance company will just send you a check.  The insurance industry uses a number of tricks and legal loopholes to try and deny you just compensation.  A car accident attorney can help you protect yourself from these “legal tricks” and ensure that you get what you deserve.

If you have been in a automobile accident, motorcycle accident, or have been hit by a “Big” truck then call John Mixon and Associates today at 706-724-9999.

No comments