I’ve Been Hurt in an Auto Accident. Will my Insurance Cover my Medical Bills?

March 12, 2017 No Comments by johnmixon

When looking at the language of laws in different states you will find that many states have the same ideas but with different names.  If you are buying automobile insurance you may find that the words vary from state to state but the principals are the same.

The idea of the non-at fault driver having their medical bills paid by their own insurance is one such example.  When you purchase your insurance you will have the option of purchasing coverage in excess of the minimum policy required by law.  You will have the option of carrying coverages that will pay out in the event of an accident-especially to cover medical bills.

Some states call this Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage.  Some states call this same concept Med-Pay (MP) coverage.  If you have one of these additional coverages it will be noted on your policy.  Most people, if they carry these additional coverages, carry between $5,000 and $10,000 in coverage.  If you are injured in a car wreck you can claim this coverage.

You will need to contact your insurance as soon as possible and inform them of the accident and your claim.  You may then submit you medical bills to your insurance company.  If you bills do not rise to the level of the coverage the insurance company is supposed to pay the bills to the penny.  If the bills exceed the coverage the insurance company is supposed to pay the policy limit.  However, what is “supposed” to happen and what actually happens are rarely the same.

If you have been in a car wreck, motorcycle accident, or the if you have been the victim of a BIG truck- you need to protect yourself.  Call John Mixon and Associates at 706-724-9999 or 1-800-727-1234 and let us be Your Accident Attornies.  We are conveniently located in beautiful downtown Augusta, Georgia and have been for over 30 years.

No comments