I’ve Been the Victim of a Hit and Run. What Do I Do Now?

May 5, 2017 No Comments by johnmixon

When you are  involved in an auto accident that is not your fault then the expense falls on the insurance of the at-fault party.  What if you don’t know who that party is?  Everyday there are thousands of victims of hit and run drivers.  The accident is not your fault, but you have no idea who the at-fault party is or who they have insurance with.

I can’t stress the following enough.  As soon as you possibly can you need to contact your insurance company.  Some States only allow a very limit window of time for the victim of a hit and run car accident to report the claim to their insurance.  You can file a claim with your own insurance under what is called Uninsured Motorist Coverage.  Some States differentiate between Uninsured and Underinsured (when you know who the at-fault party is but they do not have enough insurance to cover your medical bills).  However, regardless of how a State classifies the insurance the fact is that it exists to protect you in a case such as a hit and run accident.

Once you have reported your Uninsured Motorist Claim everything will work out just fine, right?  After all this is your insurance company and they will want to take care of a customer, right?  Well not exactly.  You see even if we are talking about your own insurance company they still do not want to pay out large sums of money.  It is funny how insurance works.  They expect you to pay for the coverage, but you shouldn’t expect them to just pay out when the time comes.  Uninsured Claims are handled by an adjustor just like any other claim.  The main goal of any insurance adjustor is to pay as little as possible at all times and for all manner of claims.

If you have been the victim of a hit and run car accident, or any other sort of accident then let John Mixon and Associates be your car wreck attorneys today!  Call us at 706-724-9999 or toll free at 1-800-727-1234.

No comments